It seems there is a bug in the latest version of GCE which prevents people from saving patterns and entering knit mode (thanks Cole!). I will fix that as soon as possible. In the meantime just having the free version installed (alongside GCE) should make GCE behave properly again.
My apologies for any inconveniences.
I am currently thinking about what to do next with LittleKnitter. I have a couple of ideas but I would like to know which features people actually *want*. Thus, if you want to influence the development of LittleKnitter please vote below. I will monitor the results over the next two weeks and then start working on whatever it is that most people voted for. If all goes well the next release should be out before Christmas🙂.
This release took a lot longer than planned, mostly due to the fact that I had lots of Other Important Stuff to do. Also, our son was born in May, although, since he’s a really really easy baby that doesn’t really count as much of an excuse.
Anyways, this version has two important improvements:
- Patterns can be exported as text files. The files are simple foreground and background pasted together (like what you would see in knitting mode) and will show up in /data/com.jschroeder.lknitter(.GCE)/files/ on the SD card/HDD.
- The design grid can be made sort of WYSIWIG, by scaling the grid cells according to the configured inch/stitch ratio.
The latter is a requirement for the next big feature: I want to make it possible to set an image as a background in design mode. This way you can trace the pattern from a scan or a photograph. Hopefully the next release won’t take another 4 months😉.
It turns out the name LittleKnitter can easily be understood (and is) as a homage to Doctor Who. Since Doctor Who is one of my favourite shows I think that’s fantastic. It would be even greater if it actually would have been intentional…😉
New version! Improvements:
- Axes. They can show stitches/rows or a freely adjustable measure (like inch or cm). Also they look really nice😉.
- Key navigation. Drawing a pattern should not require any touch interaction anymore (still possible of course). This should help on small screens.
- The current position in knit mode is now (finally) saved together with the pattern.
- Some small ui cleanups.
A note – 1.4 had a serious bug (shouldn’t upload any releases at 3am anymore…) therefore I immediately pulled it again. Those who already downloaded it should upgrade to 1.4.1.
A small bug fix release of LittleKnitter (GCE and free). Fixes crashes (and subsequent corruption of database) on Save As and finally makes scrolling work properly.
LittleKnitter 1.3 is now available for download. Lots of changes:
- This version finally supports loading and saving of patterns.
- In knit mode direction (up/down, left/right) can be adjusted.
- There is now a help screen.
The second big change is that people can now support development of LittleKnitter by buying LittleKnitter GCE (good conscience edition😉 ). I see this more as a voluntary contribution than a payment, therefore there will still be a free version (albeit with an annoying nag screen on startup) with roughly the same features as the paid version (although I probably will push out bug fixes more frequently in GCE).